HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE CLIENT/AGENCY RELATIONSHIP
There are many reasons why I feel that PR in house is the strongest route forward, however agencies very much have their place and if this is the path for you, let's explore how to make it work.
When running Peachy PR, as an agency we always wanted to provide the best service to our clients and as such would lay out the key components clearly before we would agree a start date, including what a client could expect from us but also what we needed to expect from the client in order to be most effective.
I want to sum up here the most crucial aspects that a client should be aware of when looking to get the most out of their investment in PR. Helping the client get the most out of their investment in PR was always at the forefront of our approach but there is much that you can do to foster the best relationship and encourage the results that allow you to Boss Your PR!
First things first: A client/agency relationship is like any out - hard work. It takes commitment, chemistry, honesty and passion and there is a big part for you to play in the process at each stage.
• This is at all stages from being up front about your business, how it works and why you are looking for PR to support you as well as what you are hoping to achieve through PR.
• The communication needs to be consistent and constant. PR can move very quickly and your agency willneed to be able to seek approval, quotes, go ahead and opinion.
Build a relationship with your agency:
• Shared connections, productive meetings, engagement with the possibilities and opportunities make the difference to a PR campaign. Your agency are there to help you and you are investing in them; there needs to be some sort of relationship to make this as effective as possible.
• Share news, updates, developments and information with them as soon as possible and as far in advance as you can. There can be no underestimating the importance of keeping a PR campaign moving forward through refreshing and renewing the offering to press.
IN PR, IT'S ALWAYS URGENT!
Jump at the opportunity:
• Follow the rule that 'It's always urgent' and every opportunity an agency puts to you could win you exposure and, ultimately, new business: Aren't these the results you're aiming for and why you are looking to PR?
• Opportunities will get missed with too much delay, so maintaining communication and making decisions quickly keeps the process streamlined.
Collaboration and Two-way Communication:
• One of the key things that should always be emphasised in any pitch is the nature of 'collaboration'. The client should feel comfortable with an agency and the work they are doing; comfortable enough to discuss hopes, ideas and aspirations for PR.
• We come back to the point of making the most of your investment by being involved in the process. Collaborate, communicate and trust your agency and what they ask of you.